Hook: Dry Fly Size 8 to 12
Thread: 6/0 Brown
Underbody/Tail: Tan foam
Body: Olive crystal chenille
Hackle: Dyed brown grizzly
Legs: Round brown rubber legs
Overbody/Tail: Brown foam
Underwing: Green crystal flash
Overwing: Elk hair
Head: Peacock dubbing
Thorax: Brown foam
Indicator: Yellow foam
Tie in a good base layer of thread.
Tie in the foam under body to form a tail.
Wrap thread forward, over foam, towards eyelet and then cut off excess foam leaving a small foam head.
Tie in a good length of tinsel at the rear of the hook, which will be used to form the body later.
Tie in the hackle at the rear of the hook. This will be used to hackle the body later.
Wrap tinsel forward to form the body
Wrap hackle forward, over body, to palmer the fly.
Tie in some brown foam to form the top tail. This will also be used as the over body on the fly.
Tie in 2 rubber legs, on both sides of the hook, near the rear of the hook.
Wrap thread forward and tie in the foam over body leaving room for a dubbed head.
Tie in a crystal flash wing so its length extends just past the tail.
Tie in some stacked elk hair to form a wing over the crystal flash.
Both the crystal flash and elk hair should be the same length.
Dub a large head on the fly.
Pull brown foam back over dubbed head to form the thorax.
Cut foam thorax to shape and add 2 more sets of rubber legs to front of fly
An optional yellow foam indicator can be added for enhanced visability.
Whip finish and the fly is ready for some high floating, dry fly action.
- Read more + October 11, 2020 By Don Freschi in Fly Tying, Giveaways, Member Content, New Blog Posts, New Episodes, Uncategorized
- Read more + October 7, 2020 By admin in Member Content, New Blog Posts, New Episodes, Series 24, Uncategorized
- Read more + September 27, 2020 By Don Freschi in Giveaways, Member Content, New Blog Posts, Uncategorized
- Read more + September 26, 2020 By Don Freschi in Fly Tying, Giveaways, Member Content, New Blog Posts, Tips & Techniques, Uncategorized, Video Posts
- Read more + March 21, 2020 By admin in Member Content, New Blog Posts, New Episodes, Sustainability, Uncategorized, Video Posts
- Read more + December 31, 2017 By admin in Uncategorized